Travel Stories, News, and Guides for Discerning Travelers - AFAR Discover digital travel stories, reviews, tips, news, guides, podcasts, and videos from the experts at AFAR Media, and subscribe to the newsletter or print magazine.
- 10 Must-Visit Museums in New York Cityby AFAR Media on December 2, 2023 at 4:00 pm
There's a museum for every kind of traveler in the Big Apple.
- 6 Most Exciting Places in the Caribbean in 2024by AFAR Media on December 2, 2023 at 1:31 am
Get ready to see the Caribbean in a whole new light.
- Venice Unveils Exact Dates in 2024 When It Will Charge Tourist Entry Feeby AFAR Media on December 1, 2023 at 11:50 pm
The Venice City Council just released a 2024 schedule of dates during which day-trippers will need to pay to enter the city. Here's the full list of dates and what it will cost.
- Planning a Winter Trip? Consider These 7 Noteworthy Places.by AFAR Media on December 1, 2023 at 9:45 pm
Whether you're bookending 2023 or kicking off 2024, here are appealing places for a trip.
- This Tiny European Country Is Home to Cliffside Castles, Emerald Lakes, and a Green Capital Cityby AFAR Media on December 1, 2023 at 7:01 pm
Everything you need to know in order to get the most out of a trip to Slovenia.
Travel Find facts, photos, information and history, travel videos, flags, and maps of countries and cities of the world from National Geographic.
- How to spend the perfect winter weekend in New Yorkby David Farley on December 3, 2023 at 12:00 am
While every New York City season has its charms, winter in the Big Apple is undoubtedly special, from brisk Central Park strolls to seasonal markets and ice skating at Rockefeller Center.
- Where to stay this ski season, from boutique chalets to lux spasby Nick Dalton on December 3, 2023 at 12:00 am
It’s changing rooms in the Alps with new design hotels, and venerable old venues being reimagined as chic contemporary ski stays.
- How to make smörgåstårta, the Swedish sandwich cakeby Sarah Barrell on December 3, 2023 at 12:00 am
All hail the mighty smörgåstårta, a Swedish creation that eschews Scandinavian minimalism in favour of creative maximalism. The result? A sandwich that demands its own cake stand.
- 5 ways to enjoy the festive season in Salzburgby Gabriella Le Breton on December 2, 2023 at 12:00 am
As the birthplace of a much-loved Christmas carol, Austria’s medieval city of Salzburg is a fitting destination for the festive season. Its snow-covered Alpine backdrop and famous Christkindlmarkt join a brimming musical programme and Christmas-themed attractions.
- How to plan a weekend in northern Tunisia, from mausoleums to mountain trailsby Jack Carter on December 2, 2023 at 12:00 am
Put on the map by Carthage more than a thousand years ago, Tunisia’s northern reaches harbour ancient ruins and busy souks — but the area is also home to laid-back coastal towns and mountains ripe for adventure.
- Archetype Family: Discovering
- Other Expressions: Adventurer, Trailblazer, Traveler
- Life Journey: To follow paths that are self-discovered. Inspire others to explore uncharted territory.
- Unique Challenge: To be unafraid to commit: to settling in one place, with one person, and one style of life; to recognize that exploration can be emotional as well as physical.
- Lesson To Learn: To take the initiative while coordinating with others to break barriers and accomplish great things.
- Defining Grace: Self-Motivation
- Challenge To Self: I will climb every mountain, feel every moment.
THE PIONEER: You go where no one has gone before mentally and physically You see, you think , you go forever seeing uncharted territory. You change the world. Where here you go can be disruptive and even dangerous. You also have trouble “staying”.
THE DISCOVERER: You explore the sky, the earth, and the sea. You enjoy looking forward, backward and beyond. You stuggle with boredom and relating to the present moment.
THE ADVENTURER: Adventurers are enthusiasts. They are up for anything and can handle change with aplomb.
THE TRAVELER: Travelers are always game to go someplace new. Enthusiastic, worldly, and adventurous without being danger junkies, they can be trusted to advise about destinations that are off the beaten track.
THE SEEKER: Charming and able to adjust to all kinds of situations, Seekers can bring new perspectives about life to anyone who is curious enough to ask them to describe what they’ve experienced.
THE INDIVIDUALIST: Individualists are exciting to be around because they are always in the vanguard and always ready to take issue with anything too constraining or boring.
THE NOVELTY-SEEKER: Explorers have a hard time appreciating what they have already accomplished because they always feel there is more to do. This compulsion may cause them to leave tasks in their present reality, unfinished.